In the UK, the legislation that directly applies to arsenic in the workplace is the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) Regulations 2002.
COSHH requires employers to reduce risks of arsenic exposure to employees and others. Typical actions for a museum include:
- Identifying arsenic hazards in objects.
- Assessing risks of arsenic exposure to employees and others.
- Providing measures to reduce arsenic exposure such as protective packaging materials, warning signage / labels, and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Ensuring protective measures are being used.
- Providing information, instruction, training or supervision.
Control measures should be in proportion to the risk of exposure.