Some examples include:
- Architecture – many 20th century construction materials.
- Geology – asbestos and asbestiform minerals, e.g. actinolite, anthophyllite, amosite, chrysotile, crocidolite, tremolite.
- Marine vessels – used extensively in thermal insulation and fire protection materials.
- Military – gas masks and respirators, machine guns, protective clothing.
- Mining – gas lanterns, emergency rescue breathing apparatus.
- Modern and contemporary art – artworks using 20th century construction materials.
- Social history – materials requiring protection from high temperatures, e.g. oven gloves, fire fighters’ clothing, stoves, hairdryers, ironing boards.
- Rail vehicles – used extensively in locomotives and carriages.
- Road vehicles – brake linings, clutches, transmissions and exhaust systems.