The law

In the UK, employers that use, store or transport substances that are explosive, oxidising or flammable must comply with the Dangerous Substances & Explosive Atmospheres Regulations (DSEAR) 2002.

The possession and use of explosives such as gunpowder in small arms ammunition and projectiles are also covered by the Explosives Regulations 2014 (ER2014) and firearms legislation (see topic Firearms).

Cellulose nitrate film collections are covered by DSEAR (see topic Nitrate film).

Museums must seek professional advice should they intend to keep explosives or energetic substances in their collection.

Explosive hazard warning symbol