- Review sources of lead objects in your collection, e.g. examples in this eTool.
- Hazard label objects in storage.
- Record hazards in a collections database.
- When handling lead objects:
- Wear thin nitrile gloves.
- Avoid touching heavily corroded surfaces (very powdery or flaky surfaces).
- Avoid disturbing lead dust.
- Wash hands after handling lead and before any other activity.
- Do not eat, drink or smoke.
Additional control measures will be required if you are planning to carry out any of the following activities with lead: soldering, melting or sanding painted surfaces. If in doubt, seek specialist safety advice.