- Survey collections for photographic media.
- Identify known or suspected nitrate film. Specialist advice can be sought from photographic materials experts, e.g. film and photography conservators, archivists and curators.
- Label it as a flammable material and warn others about its presence.
- Separate it from other objects owing to dual risks of flammability and acidic chemicals.
- Store it in cool, dry, well ventilated conditions in a location agreed with the building’s fire safety manager / advisor.
- Periodically review its condition to check for deterioration.
- Digitise to preservation standards or transfer to other media.
- Dispose of deteriorated nitrate film via a hazardous waste company.