- Establish whether the collection contains radioactive objects.
- If radioactive objects are identified / suspected seek advice from an RPA. See Sources and references for where to find an RPA.
- With the help of an RPA, complete a risk assessment for the collection.
- Prevent employees and others from being exposed to unacceptable doses of radiation. This means doses must be as low as reasonably achievable.
- Provide information to employees and others about radiation hazards / risks.
- Discuss with their RPA whether to appoint a radiation protection supervisor (RPS). Information about the role of an RPS can be found in the HSE's radiation information sheet IRP6 here.
- Consult an RPA before disposing of radioactive material.