The museum must identify a ‘duty holder’, usually the person in charge of the premises or the person in charge of the historic collection. They must:
- Undertake an assessment of asbestos containing materials (ACMs) in the collection, possibly with advice from a qualified asbestos surveyor. The HSE explains how to select an asbestos surveyor here.
- Presume asbestos is present in objects likely to have ACMs until otherwise assessed.
- Record the results in a management plan and asbestos register.
- Implement the plan to keep ACMs in an adequate condition.
- Periodically review the condition of ACMs and the management plan.