In the UK, the legislation that directly applies to mercury in the workplace is the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) Regulations 2002.
COSHH requires employers to reduce risks of mercury exposure to employees and others. Typical actions for a museum include:
- Identifying mercury hazards in objects.
- Assessing risks of mercury exposure to employees and others.
- Providing measures to reduce mercury exposure such as protective packaging materials, warning signage / labels, and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Ensuring protective measures are being used.
- Providing information, instruction, training or supervision.
Control measures should be in proportion to the risk of exposure.